Frequently Asked Questions...

How long do tickets stay on my record?

All minor traffic convictions and accidents remain on your driving record for three years. All major violations remain on your driving record for seven years. Points for traffic convictions and chargeable accidents are added and removed at the renewal of your policy. There is no change to the policy during your policy period to add or delete points.

How much Liability Coverage do I need?
Most state laws require that you carry a minimum amount of liability insurance, which pays for the injuries or damages you cause to someone else. While some people need only the minimum level of protection, others have assets that they need to protect. If you are unsure about how much liability insurance you need, consult an BMI insurance professional. We can tailor a program to provide the right amount of protection for you and your family.

How do I get the most auto insurance coverage for my insurance dollar?
To maximize your insurance dollar, think about choosing high limits and high deductibles when you buy your auto insurance policy.

When you buy your auto insurance coverage, get the highest limits you can comfortably afford for coverage like bodily injury, property damage, and uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury. Often, higher limits don’t cost much more than lower limits. However, the higher limits substantially increase the protection provided by your auto insurance.

Carrying high deductibles on some kinds of auto insurance coverage will cost you a larger out-of-pocket fee if you file an auto insurance claim. However, the higher your deductibles, the lower your auto insurance premium.

What should I do if I have an accident?
First, make sure you, your passengers and others are not injured. If there are injuries call 911 immediately. Second, in most states the police should be notified. Third, you should give your information to the other driver(s). Provide your name, address, and telephone number. Also let them know your auto insurance coverage is through BMI. Then get this same information from the other driver(s). Finally, contact BMI Insurance at your first opportunity. We can process your information with your insurance company to make sure your claim gets handled right away.

Do I need special auto insurance coverage if my auto's leased or financed?
Your loan or leasing agreement provides details on the kinds of auto insurance coverage finance institutions require. Though each leasing agent or lender has different requirements, most lenders and leasing agents require you to buy comprehensive and collision coverage when you purchase your auto insurance policy. Many also require liability limits in excess of your state's auto insurance coverage requirements.

When buying auto insurance for your leased auto, remember that insurers pay only the actual cash value (the market value factoring in age, mileage, and wear and tear) for a vehicle, rather than that vehicle's replacement cost. If you're involved in an auto accident and your leased auto is severely damaged, you may find yourself responsible for damages that your auto insurance policy doesn't cover.
Copyright 2011 Benefits Mutual Insurance, Lic# 0E14637